CNG vs Petrol vs Diesel – Which Car To Opt For
Last Modified: 2-June-2023
Buying a car is a financial decision that resonates with its owner’s lifestyle. It will require you to invest a significant amount of money. Thankfully, the Used car loans in Kerala and other parts of the country have made purchasing four-wheelers more affordable. You can plan your purchase according to your budget. In addition, a used car loan calculator can be helpful in this case.
Before you finalize the new or used car, it is a good idea to look at the fuel type. The fuel type is extremely important among the several factors that affect the buyer’s decision. A car’s fuel type affects its mileage, running cost, and maintenance it requires.
While electric vehicles are making their way into the Indian automobile market, petrol, diesel, and CNG four-wheelers continue to command the space.
Here are the details of petrol, diesel, and CNG fuel types.
Which car is best: CNG vs Petrol Vs Diesel Cars?
|Parameters||Petrol Car||Diesel Car||CNG Car|
|Fuel price||High||Lower than petrol||Low|
|Car price||Affordable than diesel & CNG cars.||Expensive than petrol & CNG cars.||expensive than petrol cars, but affordable compared to diesel cars.|
|Performance||Premium performance with better acceleration than diesel & CNG cars.||Slower initial acceleration but offers good top-end performance.||Lower power output than petrol and diesel cars. Lower power delivery..|
|Comfort||Petrol engines are refined, Comfortable driving experience.||Diesel engines are less refined than petrol.||Since CNG cars run on petrol-compatible engines, the refinement is on par with petrol cars.|
|Boot space||Spacious||Spacious||CNG fuel tanks are installed in the boot space, not suitable for long drives.|
|Mileage||Lower than CNG and diesel cars.||Higher than petrol cars, but lower than CNG cars.||Higher than petrol and diesel cars.|
|Running cost||High||Lower than petrol cars, but higher than CNG cars.||Low|
|Maintenance cost||Higher than CNG cars but lower than diesel cars.||High||Higher than petrol and diesel cars due to the fitment of CNG kit.|
|Environmental friendliness||It is not environment-friendly as the exhaust gas comprises carbon monoxide.||It produces carbon emissions.||They are environment-friendly as the fuel is completely combustible and produces clean emission.|
|Fuel availability||Easily available||Easily available||CNG fuel stations are not easily available as petrol or diesel fuel stations.|
|Engine life||Lower than diesel engines.||Diesel engines last longer than petrol engines.||The engine life is similar to petrol engines.|
A detailed comparison between CNG, Petrol and Diesel fuel types will help buyers choose the best car. Let us compare CNG, Petrol, and Diesel cars based on the following factors:
- Mileage: Fuel efficiency is the ruling factor when people decide on the four-wheeler they want to buy. Out of petrol, diesel, and CNG four-wheelers, CNG vehicles are the most fuel-efficient type. The fuel economy of diesel cars is better than petrol cars, but the mileage of CNG engines is way ahead. Among the three options, petrol cars are the least fuel efficient. However, the driving style also affects the fuel efficiency of a vehicle. If a driver is aggressive behind the wheel, they will bring down the fuel economy.
- Engine life: The engine life decides the longevity of a vehicle’s life. Thus, along with fuel efficiency, it is necessary to see which fuel type is best for a car’s engine life. Among the three options, the CNG fuel type (9-12 years) offers the best engine life for a four-wheeler. Whereas a petrol engine sustains for up to 8-10 years, and the diesel variant has a lifespan of 6-8 years.
- Maintenance: The spare parts of petrol cars are cheaper than other fuel types; therefore, petrol cars are cheaper and easier to maintain than CNG and diesel cars. The components of a diesel engine are complex and expensive.
CNG cars are bi-fuel (CNG and petrol). They have CNG kits and engines, which increases their maintenance cost in comparison to petrol cars. You need to get a CNG engine checked regularly for possible leakages.
Advantages and Disadvantages of CNG-powered Cars
Pros of CNG Vehicles:
- CNG vehicles have a lower running cost than diesel and petrol cars. The fuel price of CNG is much lower than petrol or diesel, making it more affordable.
- The fuel economy of CNG vehicles is more than petrol and diesel vehicles.
- CNG four-wheelers are environmentally sustainable and do not emit the highly-polluting carbon emissions.
- CNG cars are bi-fuel. Car owners can run them on CNG or petrol.
Cons of CNG Vehicles:
- CNG cars do not offer the best driving experience and deliver low performance.
- The full tank capacity of CNG vehicles is low, and their full tank driving range is not as much as petrol and diesel cars.
- There is no boot space in CNG vehicles as the CNG cylinder is placed there.
- They have the weakest torque among the three.
- The maintenance cost is the highest among the three engine types.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Petrol-powered Cars
Pros of Petrol Vehicles:
- Petrol cars cost less than the other two types.
- They offer a comfortable driving experience.
- Their maintenance cost is lower, and they offer good low-end performance.
- You can drive them longer in countries like India.
Cons of Petrol Vehicles:
- The price of petrol is the highest among the three fuels, which makes the rides costliest.
- Their torque is lesser than diesel cars.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Diesel-powered Cars
Pros of Diesel Vehicles:
- They have a lower running cost than petrol cars.
- Their high-end performance is good, and diesel cars are perfect for long-distance travel.
- A diesel engine’s life is longer than a petrol engine.
Cons of Diesel Vehicles:
- Diesel cars are comparatively costlier.
- The spare parts and maintenance cost of diesel cars is higher.
- Though they last longer, diesel engines are being phased out, and environmental laws mandate a shorter possession period than petrol and CNG cars.
Additional Read: What are the Different Types of Bike Engines?
Which Fuel Type Should You Choose?
Your requirements decide which type of car is good for you. If your car usage is high and you travel long distances, a diesel car can be beneficial. For daily drives, opt for a CNG car. You can choose a petrol car if you need a car for daily drives and long commutes.
Get a used car loan in Kerala and other states to fit a car in your budget, and use the used car loan calculator before making a final decision.
Frequently Asked questions
1. Which is better: petrol or diesel?
Diesel engines offer greater fuel efficiency and provide higher mileage compared to petrol engines.
2. Why is diesel fuel better than petrol?
Diesel engines are known for their superior fuel efficiency compared to petrol engines, resulting in lower fuel consumption and reduced CO2 emissions, making them more environmentally friendly.
3. Which is better: CNG or petrol?
Compared to petrol or diesel, CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) leaves significantly less residue after combustion. It doesn’t emit particulate matter like petrol or diesel, which leads to fewer damages to the engine’s pipes and tubes. Consequently, this prolongs the engine’s lifespan.
4. Is CNG better than diesel?
On the contrary, CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) burns with minimal smoke emission and does not produce any toxic gasses. As a result, it does not contribute to air pollution. Consequently, CNG is widely regarded as a superior fuel option when compared to petrol and diesel.
5. Which is healthier, diesel or petrol?
Diesel fuel is free of lead, and the emissions of regulated pollutants such as carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons, and nitrogen oxides are lower in diesel cars compared to petrol cars without a catalyst.
- Piaggio Bike Price in India – New Bike Models 2023
- Royal Enfield Bike Prices in India 2023
- TVS Scooter Models With Price in India
Please feel free to contact us on toll free number or send us your query on our email.